15 October 2014

Caramel bonbon

Last week we had a masterclass so there was nothing to bring home. But I did bought 4 chocolate bonbon molds so I finally had what I needed to make bonbons. Mom noticed that she didn't get any treats this week so just because of that I made some bonbons at home.

I made a small batch, just enough to fill one bonbon mold. I did everything as they taught me in class and it worked out great! the bonbons looked even better then the first time. However next time I would use more chocolate. Then it's much easier to fill the molds because you don't have to worry about having enough chocolate left for the bottom. 

For the filling I used the caramel recipe I found on this site: http://www.sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-salted-caramel-recipe/

Sally has step by step picture on how to make caramel. And it is delicious! 

In short the recipe is:
- 200 gr sugar
- 90 gr butter in cubes
- 120 ml hot whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt

I heated the sugar till it melted and turned amber colored. Then I added the cubes of butter and the salt. After the butter has been incorporated I slowly poured in the whipping cream. Because of the temperature difference the sugar mixture will bubble a lot so a big pot is a must. Then all it has to do is cook for a minute or so and it's ready. 

I stored it in a jar in my fridge and when it's cold it reminds me of the caramel you find in a Twix or in a "stroopwafel". 

So before I used it I head it up a bit so it turned a but more liquid so it's easier to pour it in the bonbon mold.
Unfortunately my camera was out of battery so I couldn't take pretty pictures, but I manage to make these.

I'm thinking of a bonbon filled with butter cream and cherries. Or with coconut and pineapple. Or caramel and nuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment