I can't believe I don't have a separate entry for butter cream. I've been using it a lot these days but it seems like the recipe is tucked away somewhere. This butter cream is so great it deserves it's own entry.
I've seen my American friends make butter cream by just creaming butter and powdered sugar together, but this is not that kind of butter cream. This one is sooo much better and less sweet.
- 85 gr water
- 225 gr sugar
- 100 gr egg white
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 500 gr room temperature butter in cubes
Boil the water and the sugar till 121C. When the temperature reaches about 115C whisk the egg white with the cream of tartar till firm peeks. Then on high speed mix in the sugar syrup mixture and continue to mix it till the bowl cools off. Then add the butter cube for cube till it's a smooth batter. This is the basic butter cream. To this mixture you can add whatever flavoring you want.
So far I've tried adding:
- 200 gr melted pure chocolate for some chocolate butter cream
- 200 gr coconut paste and some Malibu liqueur for some coconut butter cream
- 2 tablespoons of orange liqueur
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of orange curd for some orange butter cream
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of bokkenpootjes
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of cherry syrup for some cherry butter cream
- a couple of dashes of mint liqueur and mint syrup
- some scoops of homemade blueberry compote