18 January 2015

One person birthday cakes

Last year I treated myself to some great baking tools. I've got a cake stand for decoration cakes, a 60 cm rolling pin, several pipping tips, cupcake baking cups, Christmas baking trays and lots more. But my new to go to toy is definitely this Wilton mini orb cake pan (picture is from taartendecoratie.nl). 
One biscuit batter is enough for 12 cakes and one mini cake. And my ice cream scoop scoops just enough batter to fill it so it's a win win for me. 
I tested it out with half the biscuit recipe first and I ended up with 8 mini cakes. 
So when it was my sisters birthday I used the whole recipe to make everyone an individual birthday cake and of course the birthday girl gets her own slightly bigger cake. 

So I started with making the batter for the biscuit. Instead of keeping it plain I added 3-4 tablespoons of grated dried coconut and some vanilla sugar. I baked it for about 15 minutes on 170C.

Then I started making butter cream. To the basic mixture I added 200 gram coconut paste and 1-2 table spoons of Malibu liqueur.  

After the cake cooled I sliced them in half and spread a thin layer of apricot jam on one side. On the other side I spread some coconut butter cream. Then I covered it all in coconut butter cream and let it harden in the fridge. 
I used 250 grams of white fondant and 125 grams of purple fondant to cover and decorate the cakes. Some of the purple fondant I mixed with the white fondant to get violet colored fondant. I used some cupcake cups to wrap the cakes instead of aluminium foil.

Birthday girl didn't want any cake, but she was sure happy there was some.

No comments:

Post a Comment